Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Multiple Sclerosis



Living with MS can be a bit difficult, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I believe God give us all strength to endure whatever life throws at us; and we’re created for His good.

Although the adjustments can be one of the hardest issues to master; not that I’ve ever mastered MS, but it is a little more manageable once the concept sets in and I realized what I need not and to do, it eventually comes together.

The pain can be over whelming at times, but I'm thankful I don't have cancer! -- I know that I'm able to walk, and sometimes I need assistances in getting around, but for the most part, I do okay by myself. The main symptoms are weakness to left side of my body.


Not able to handle the heat very well, (well, my muscles). I had dreams of retiring in FL. Not now. I don’t believe my body would be able to handle the heat. I could probably live in Alaska and think I’m in Heaven, my body would anyways.

One of the first things my husband, Doug noticed, was my mind isn’t as sharp as it once was. Forgetfulness and repeating myself. Now, that is pretty much the norm in our household. My family would remind me in a nice way, if I had already made mention of something more than once. Example: I would ask Doug to repeat himself to me and not remember what he just said me.

The next symptom was muscle pain in my left shoulder and than my left leg, thinking I had a pinch nerve in my neck, and so did my PCP. After a year of testing and visiting 11 doctors’, a diagnosis of MS (Multiple Sclerosis) was giving November 20, 2007. How I was diagnosis, was with an MRI with and without contrast right along with a nice spinal tap.

My husband was with me at the time the Neurologist diagnosis me. Thank God! Because, I was starting to think it was all in my head! Well, it really is, if one stops and thinks about it. Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic neurological disorder that affects the central nervous system or CNS, comprised of the brain and the spinal cord. At first I was shocked and did not know what I was going to do and how can I move forward? Not being educated in MS was like learning to live all over again. Mad at God and wondering why? I begin to realize how wonderful life is and it is what each of us makes of our illness, likes and dislikes. God knew I could handle living with MS. He made me strong for this very reason and season in my life; to help others when they need it! MS is a blessing in many ways, if we look at it as a disease that is exactly what the disease will be. If we look at it as a blessing that is what it will be.

No comments: